I am sitting here, as I lazily ordered Dominoes Pizza for mine and Kals lunch today....(hey I was craving some of that yummy goodness, in need of new stocking up on groceries again, and Greg did just get paid after all! oh and its raining so without a vehicle I cant get anywhere without getting RAINED on!)
Ok I just rambled on a bit much didn't I? Anyway, I sit here, full stomach and watching Kal slowly eat the ONE slice I gave him (as I already scarfed down the rest of that small pizza.... oops.... lol.) Spongebob is on the TV, and I am staring down a huge mess that I SOOOO want to clean up mentally, but physically I can feel my body shutting down going NO NO NO! I didn't sleep well last night and therefore could REALLY use a nap instead!
Well, a lot of the mess is Kalvin's toys and stuff like that.... I am wondering, should I be teaching him to clean these up already? At daycare it was a feat sometimes to get them to clean, but with alot of patience and a cleanup song eventually it did get cleaned up, and I worked in the 2s class.....
My father in law mentioned kids chores and receiving money for doing them yesterday, just in random conversation.... my question is he at a good age to start that? even if the only "chore" I give him is cleaning his toys? He is getting to that stage where he is constantly wanting candy and stuff at the store, so maybe giving him a quarter each day that he cleans up his toys would be a good thing? Or is he too young to put the monetary thing to the chore of picking up his toys?
I am a child development major and I feel like I should know these things but I do not... lol. At first, my first thought in my head was, he is too young for chores and an allowance! But then I started thinking... he will randomly wake up from a nap or something and cry and demand to go for a walk to the store for "candy'. Some days I just do not really have money to buy him candy and he doesn't seem to understand that. So maybe this would be a good thing to start teaching him? Will he grasp that concept at this age? I don't know..... how do you moms get your kids to pick up after themselves? just sing that annoying clean up song? or do you do something else?
We have DJ cleaning up his toys and the dog's too because he always, always, always, dumps out the dog toys too. It makes cleaning up so much easier. I even have him sorting laundry. I just sing the cheesy Barney clean up song and it works.
ReplyDeleteWe cannot get Riley to clean up toys without a fit and a scene of some sort. He usually ends up in his room after backtalking. He cleans up fine at school and for other people (like my parents) but no matter what we have tried he is very difficult to get to do ANYTHING we ask him to do. Rewards and punishments, reasoning...nothing. Declan is the polar opposite in every way- he has always loved helping clean up, he cleans up his own things and helps me with my own cleaning, too. All I can say is good luck!
ReplyDelete