Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My birthing story

So I am still at the hospital, but the hospital has WiFi, and Greg and Chloe are sleeping.... FB is not working from the hospital....

I feel I need to tell this story because it was an experience I will never forget.  If you are squeamish and don't want the horrific details, you might want to stop reading now.... lol, cuz this story will get a lil gross....

So, most of you may have seen from facebook that I first called the OB/GYN at 3pm about back pain,  She wanted me to come in, so we did.  We were seen around 6pm originally, but nothing was progressed enough to stay.  They told us we could come back in 2 hours.  We did.  Still not good enough.  So home we went.   Of course, I come home and things get stronger and closer together JUST LIKE THAT.  By 11pm I couldnt take it anymore.  Went back to labor and delivery.  Somehow my water broke at that point so I was staying regardless of contraction time and dilation....

WELL it was close to 2amby the time we got there and were officially admitted into the labor/delivery room.  12 hours later I was ALMOST 10cm.  Felt like it took me forever to get to 10cm and get to the "pushing" stage.    Little did I know that was gonna be worse than the rest!!  It was about 2pm on Tuesday when I started..... If you saw her birth time.... you know there was a looooooooot of time in the "pushing" stage already.....

So here goes.  It wasnt bad at first.  First of all my mother and father made it down here before that stage and therefore my mother was able to be around for everything... it was Gregs mom, mine and Greg all coaching me thru it.  So begins.... an hour goes by... some small progress but she not close to being out yet.  Change of nursing shift at 3..... (here comes the kinda gross parts)  I started to swell up.... yes, in the front AND back.... Then what started happening during a contraction/push session,  Chloe's heartrate would drastically drop and go into distress. So we had to take lots of pushing breaks to rest and relax her, and hopefully bring her heart rate back up.  It always did go back, but it extended labor even longer.  I REALLY began to swell up after that.... I mean just awfully.  That just made it even harder to get her out.... There was a point where while taking a break because Chloe's heart rate went down again, that the nurse discussed a possible c-section to me.   She was really nice about it, and told me its a last resort at this point and by no means a definite, but they were pretty sure that Chloe's distress was caused by the cord being wrapped around her neck, and that either I can get her head to show through just enough to get a vacuum or forceps thru it, OR a c-section was inevitable.  I was in tears, for I did not want a c-section.  I wanted a natural delivery, 2 day hospital stay... ya know?   I know that lots of people have no choice, and get it done and it works out for them, but I totally did not want it for me!

Well apparently thats ALL it took for me to get JUST enough motivation to push that lil mama out far enough... cuz an hour later, the head was out JUST enough for my OB to put a vacuum on lil Chloe's head and help pull her out.  Of course that didnt mean my job was over my ANY means.  Once the vacuum was in, and I had another contraction, I had NO choice but to push, push push push... and push some more, while my doc pulled with the vacuum thing..... If you have given birth vaginally before, you know its 3 10 sec pushes  thru each contraction, then some time to rest.   Well, once the vacuum went in, I seriously had to just keep pushing there was no break for another contraction.  I think I had to do it like 6 or more in a row like that.... not an easy task, especially when you are already so swollen and everything!!  Well before I knew it, the baby was out, Chloe was born!  And she was perfectly fine and healthy... and definitely DID have the cord around her neck....

I started pushing shortly after 2pm.   Chloes birth time was 5:44pm.  You do the math.  yea, about 4 hrs of pushing.  NOT FUN.

But its done, she is born, and she is just absolutely beautiful!!!  :)

So I will probably also put these on FB, but I figure those that follow my blog without my posting it to FB can get a sneak peak, since bloggers site is working at the hospital while FB is not!














This is going to be my new FB profule with me cut out of it of course... lol















3 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing! sorry to hear you had to push for so long after a long time leading up to 10 cm anyway! so glad to hear she is finally here and healthy though, and glad you didn't end up needing the c-section. Hope you are getting some rest! she's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a story! Glad that you were able to make it through without the c/s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those last two pictures, she and Kalvin look a LOT alike!!! Very exciting, Lea, I'm SO happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete